Today we focused on getting the two raised beds at the side of the house organised, between the showers, that is. There are two beds, one higher than the other, which had some herbs in, and one longer, low bed with an eclectic mix of (mainly) mint, a few foxgloves and two bluebells.
Starting with the higher bed, the foxgloves were transplanted to another location. Then I spent some time with the secateurs cutting back the overgrown marjoram, rosemary and thyme currently in the bed. Finally, I took some herbs which had been living in a pot for the last two years, and planted them out. On the advice of Braveheart's Dad, we also buried some terracotta pots in the bed , and filled each with some mint.
The second bed was completely cleared and dug over except for the two bluebells - as they haven't finished flowering yet, and I didn't want to move them. We have sown coriander, parsley (although the seeds are quite old, so I think I might invest in some newer ones), wild rocket, mixed salad leaves and spring onions. We've left space to sow further rows of each every few weeks.
Next weekend I think I'll be buying some more herb plants. As there is plenty of space, I fancy some oregano, lovage, hyssop, dill and lemon balm.
All in all we've had a very constructive weekend! Let's hope everything starts to grow soon.