Monday 16 June 2008

Felting!


On Saturday morning I got up at 4.30 am (yes dear Reader, that's right, before it was even fully light, even in June) and drove from West Sussex to Nottingham to take part in a felting workshop with my friend Sally.

You will no doubt be surprised to learn that I had travelled the furthest to attend this workshop.

It was really great though, and the tutor was Alison Crowther-Smith, the author of the Rowan book Shibori Knitted Felt. She had with her samples of nearly all the lovely things in her book, and boy, are some of them lovely. It really does make a difference to see things in real life as opposed to a photo.

She was an excellent teacher, who was both passionate and knowledgeable about her subject, and under her tuition Sally and I (and the others in the class) made two knitted swatches with embroidery, marble resists, pleats and waste silk inserts. Sally and I rushed home to her house (which is nearer than mine to Nottingham) and felted them immediately in her washing machine. I'll post a picture of mine later, they came out looking lovely and I'm really excited about felting now.

I used to think that it would be a shame to spoil my knitting by felting it and now I think that it can make a lovely soft, strong drapey fabric and I want to do some more RIGHT NOW!

2 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

it sounds like the workshop was a lot of fun, I look forward to seeing the results!

MysteryKnitter said...

Sounds you had a great time.