Saturday, 11 October 2008
Since I moved, I have been sorting through some old bedlinen which I no longer use. I have three sets which I think could be recycled and made really nice. Last weekend I started on the first set. This is made from pure cotton in a pale green and white stripe and spot pattern. It is quite worn and has faded in the time since I bought it.
I originally bought this set in France when I was living there about ten years ago. As a result it has one or two unusual features. Instead of a fastening at the end where you put the duvet in, it has a sort of extended flap of fabric which is designed to tuck under the mattress to hold the cover closed.
The other thing which is unusual is that the pillow cases are square, which is standard for European pillows.
This was OK while I had pillows of the right size, which I did for a long time, but once they had worn out and been replaced, it was not easy to use the pillowcases.
The first stage of the transformation was to cut off the flap and add a poppa tape to the end of the duvet.
Then I deconstructed all the pillow cases and dyed the whole lot a light, bright blue.
I am going to tie-dye the whole lot again with a hot pink overdye, and then the pillow cases will have to be re-made in the right shape with some additional fabric. I bought a lovely langa lapu fabric at Ally Pally in a toning shade which you can see here.
I think the first stage has been quite successful, now for step two!